The area that would become Goshen Twp. was founded in 1799 by German and English settlers, most of whom had migrated down the Ohio River from western Pennsylvania after fighting for the Colonies during the American Revolutionary War. Jacob Meyers from Penn's Valley, PA is believed to be the first permanent settler. In 1798 he bought a farm of several hundred acres on one a branch of the Obannon Creek, two miles south of the present village of Goshen. In 1803 the Stroup family settled into a log cabin also located near Obannon Creek. Preserved and fully restored, the cabin's nearest neighbor is now Goshen High School. Between 1825-1830, Benjamin Thacker built one of several Goshen houses with limestone quarried from Obannon Creek. The two story structure had walls over 10" thick, multiple fireplaces, a spacious "keeping room," and a full basement, making it one of the more impressive homes in town at that time. The house was eventually sold to Dr. Daniel Lyman, one of several doctors in Goshen but the first to open a doctor's office and laboratory, called a surgery, in an addition on the back of the house. After the Civil War, Goshen veterens in the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) formed the Kilpatrick Post in Goshen, raising tens of thousands of dollars for charity and community projects, as well as donating a civil war canon for a memorial monument in Goshen Cemetary. Students from one-room school houses could attend the Goshen Seminary for higher education. Eventually the Goshen Rural School was established for local students of all ages, graduating its first class in 1909. Goshen Rural School , later called the Sheila E. Green School, matriculated thousands of students until 2002, and was finally razed in 2013. The first car belonging to a Goshen resident rolled into town in 1912. By the 1920's Goshen boasted many businesses, multiple churches, and a thriving main street. By the middle of the century new schools, a drive-in movie theater, bowling alley and roller skating rink were added.
Sam Leever was known as "The Goshen Schoolmaster," for his rather older appearance and serious disposition, as well as his pre-baseball career as a teacher in his home town. Leever relied on his exceptional curveball and control to compile a record of 194-100, for a .660 winning percentage, the ninth highest in baseball history. In an era when pitchers were listed in the newspapers each week according to their winning percentages, the oft-injured right-hander was the National League's leading pitcher in 1901, 1903, and 1905.
Samuel Leever was born on December 23, 1871, on a farm in Goshen, Ohio, about twenty miles northeast of Cincinnati. After graduating from Goshen High School, Leever taught there for seven years before he signed his first baseball contract at the advanced age of 25. His first professional season was 1897 with Richmond (Atlantic League), where he won 20 games and led the league in strikeouts. Pittsburgh purchased his contract for 1898 but, when he reported with a sore arm, the club sent him back to Richmond, where he won 14 more games and helped lead his team to the league championship. His success earned him a recall to Pittsburgh for the tail end of the season, and he won his only decision. As an 1899 rookie, Leever pitched in a league-leading 51 games and 379 innings, and compiled a record of 21-23. Manager Patsy Donovan not only let him complete 35 games, Leever also led the league by finishing 11 games for other pitchers.
During the years 1900-1902, Leever won 44 and lost 25 games, and in 1901 lead the league in winning percentage (.737). 1903 was Leever's greatest season, compiling a 25-7 record including seven shutouts and a league-leading 2.06 ERA.
Late in the 1903 season, Leever hurt his right shoulder in a trap shooting contest in Charleroi, Pennsylvania. Leever was an avid and accomplished trap shooter his entire life, but his injury dearly cost the Pirates in the 1903 World Series. The Pirates fell to the upstart Bostons, in large part because of Leever's inability to pitch effectively. When Sam reported to camp the following spring, he was not yet completely recovered from his injury. After winning eighteen games in 1904, Leever finished 20-5, then 22-7 the next two seasons, leading the league in winning percentage in 1905. Dogged by a sore arm that caused him to miss his turn in the rotation, Leever fell off to 14 wins in 1907, although he still had a career-best 1.66 ERA. By 1908 (15-7), he was pitching in relief half of the time. In his last two years with the Pirates, Leever pitched almost exclusively in relief, winning 14 and losing 6. Prior to the 1911 season, the 38-year-old part-time pitcher was disappointed in the Pirates' tendered salary terms and refused to report to training camp. Barney Dreyfuss offered to sell Leever to a minor league team and to give him a share of the sale, but this only insulted Leever more, so he requested and received his release. In 1913, after a year out of baseball, he was enticed to manage the independent minor league team in Covington with the Federal League. After that 1913 season, he hung up his uniform for good.
Sam Leever and his wife Margaret did not have any children. He retired to a seventy-acre farm back in Goshen, acquired with money he saved from his years in baseball. He also continued to teach school for many years. Leever was the postmaster in Goshen for two terms, and became one of the town's leading citizens. He also maintained his passion for trap shooting, scoring of 99 out of 100 as late as age 71. Leever was an avid outdoorsman, and went on many long hunting trips during and after his baseball career, often with his former teammates Deacon Philippe and Honus Wagner. He eventually retired from farming and he and Margaret moved into her family's old place nearer to town. Leever often attended ballgames in town, but he would rarely offer advice or talk much about his own great career. He died at home at age 81 on May 19, 1953. Leever is buried in Goshen Cemetery and his grave is a fascinating stop on the annual Goshen Twp Historical Society Cemetery Tour.
NOTE: An earlier version of this biography appeared in Tom Simon, ed., Deadball Stars of the National League (Washington, D. C.: Brassey's Inc., 2004).
John James Voll was born May 3, 1922 in Cincinnati, Ohio, the oldest of 5 children. John later moved to Goshen where he and his siblings all attended school. John graduated in 1940. John enlisted in the Air Corps Reserve on August 5, 1942, and finally began Aviation Cadet training on March 8, 1943. Also in 1943, John entered Miami University, in Oxford, Ohio. The 1943 edition of the Miami Recensio includes pictures of John on the Miami freshman football team.
He graduated from pilot training on Jan. 7, 1944 and joined the 308th FS, 31st FG in May of 1944. His first mission was a bomber escort over Italy. He flew Mustangs with the 308th FS of the 31st Fighter Group, 15th Air Force. John Voll was the third highest scoring Mustang ace of the war and the top U.S.A.A.F. ace of the Mediteranean Theater of Operations with 21 victories.
On August 17, 1944, while escorting B-24s on a bombing mission against the Ploesti oil refineries, a squadron mate of then Lieutenant Voll was forced to bail out near the Danube River. After covering his friend until he safely reached the ground, Voll pulled away from the crash site and spotted three ME-109s. The fierce air battle that ensued became "sweet revenge" for Lieutenant Voll. With a tally of two enemy fighters destroyed and one probable, he more than evened the score for his downed friend.
Eventually flying a P-51D named "American Beauty," Voll's final victories occurred during a spectacular, individual effort. While leading an escort mission to Munich on 16 November 1944, Captain Voll experienced electrical problems and left the formation. As he returned alone, he spotted a single Ju-88 over Udine, Italy. Chasing the German aircraft as it attempted to return to its base, Voll was suddenly jumped by 12 Me-109s and FW-190s. He quickly dispatched the Ju-88 and turned into the enemy fighters. In a swirling, 5-minute battle, John Voll destroyed two FW-190s, one Me-109, had two probables, and two damaged… an impressive feat of courage and stamina.
After leaving the MTO, Captain Voll was sent to China as a headquarters staff officer in the Chinese-American Composite Wing. When the war ended, Voll was discharged from the military.
After the war, Voll returned to Goshen and became the high school science teacher at his alma mater. He taught two years before being recalled to active duty in 1948. He continued his military service primarily in the Tactical Air Command, but he also served in the Korean War, and in 1968 he was the Chief of Tactical Plans for the Seventh Air Force in Vietnam. Voll was instrumental in implementing "Operation Rolling Thunder" in Vietnam. Colonel Voll was the Base Commander of McClellan AFB, California, when he retired in 1974.
John and his wife Joan, who was from Blanchester Ohio, had 2 children. After retiring, they lived in Lexington, Massachusetts. John died on September 12, 1987, age 65, and is buried at the Massachusetts Veterans Administration National Cemetery.
What Happened to the American Beauty, AKA the Lovely Lila?
American Beauty was built as a P-51D - 25NA Mustang in California in 1944. She wore the name American Beauty on her left side (pilot’s license) and Lovely Lila on her right (crew chief’s license). Upon leaving the American military service, she was transferred to the Bolivian Air Force, where she served as a front line fighter. In the late 1960's she was sent to Sarasota, Florida for a complete overhaul and upgrade package, then returned to the Bolivian service in 1968.
After an uneventful peacekeeping career, the aircraft was owned by private individuals in Canada and the US for 20 years until she was purchased by Gardner Capital in 1998. She was then disassembled and a underwent a complete restoration by Fort Wayne Air Service in Fort Wayne, IN. After approximately three years and thousands of man hours, the Mustang P51 "American Beauty" was restored to flying condition as a to tribute John Voll and the entire 31st Fighter Group. She wears the authentic paint scheme of the 308th Fighter Squadron and Fifteenth Air Force, featuring the red spinner and narrow red nose band, and peppermint red striped tail which made these Mustangs so distinctive!
Kathryn (nee Stagge) Marr was the only child of Herman Bernard Stagge (May 1, 1889-September 7, 1964) and Margaret C. Stagge of Goshen, Ohio. She was born September 2, 1918 in the "Samuel Meek House" located at 1838 Main Street, Goshen, Ohio. This home now bears a plaque erected by the Goshen Twp Historical Society honoring Kathryn’s birthplace. When Kathryn was almost 1 year old, her parents moved from the Meek House to a farm on Goshen Road, now the site of the Stagge-Marr Community Park. The 82 acre farm remained in the family until it was willed by Kathryn, in 2008, to the Goshen Park District.
As a student, Kathryn was a member of the Goshen Boosters 4-H club, president of her 9th grade class, a member of the 1935-1936 girls basketball team, girls' glee club, had a role in her senior class play ("Dr. Jim"), was a member of the art club, 1934 associate editor of the "Goshen Booster" newspaper, and member of the "Goshenesis" staff. She also represented Goshen in the County Scholarship tests in American History, and was known as "the girl with the dreamy eyes." Kathryn graduated from Goshen High School in 1936, then attended Miami University in Oxford Ohio on scholarship. In 1938 she returned to Goshen to departmentalize socials studies for the 3rd, 4th, and 6th grades. She continued her education at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, the University of Michigan, the University of Cincinnati and Eastern State Teacher's College. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Education from Miami University and her Master's of Education degree from Xavier University. Most of her classroom teaching in the 1940’s and early 1950’s was devoted to the fifth grade. An excellent classroom teacher, Kathryn was honored as Ohio's Teacher of the Year in 1956 by McCall’s magazine. Kathryn was one of seven "finalists" who attended a White House ceremony honoring Teachers of the Year.
Kathryn married Lawrence "Larry" Marr, also a 1936 Goshen High graduate, and a WWII Army vet who served in the South Pacific. They made their first home in Morrow, Ohio and Larry became a farmer. In 1950 they moved to their farm on Nunner Road in Maineville, Ohio, now the site of Marr Park.
In the school year of 1954-1955, Kathryn became the Coordinator of the "new" Goshen Elementary building. The following year her title was changed to Principal and she held the position until her retirement on June 30, 1976. On August 17, 1976, the Goshen Board of Education voted to honor Kathryn for her hard work and dedication to Goshen schools by changing the name of Goshen Elementary to Marr Elementary. In 2003, Marr Elementary was physically joined to Cook Elementary and became Marr-Cook Elementary.
Kathryn was a founding member of the Goshen Township Historical Society. She was quietly generous within the community, supporting the Goshen Alumni Association and other civic groups on the condition that her gifts remain anonymous. After the death of her lifelong friend and fellow educator Aurelia Cook, Kathryn attended the estate auction and bought some of the furnishings that had been in the Cook family for generations. She gave these treasures to the Goshen Township Historical Society for display at the Anchorage. Kathryn also donated an organ to St. Phillip’s Church in Warren County. Her personal estate left funds to Goshen Schools, Goshen Park District, Goshen Alumni Association and other community groups.
Kathryn and Larry had no children of their own, but they clearly "adopted" the community of Goshen. Her love for this community and her inherent generosity has impacted thousands of people for almost 100 years and will continue to do so for generations to come.
Copyright © 2019 GoshenHistory - All Rights Reserved.